Thursday, December 2, 2010

Noorizhan's Vegetable Pulao


I could still remember Noorizhan giving me vegetable pulao, which she had made for Iftar in 2008, like it was yesterday. It was a long day at work and running late, so there was not much else that I could do that day. Alhamdulillah for friends like Noorizhan. The pulao was gorgeous and I absolutely enjoyed it. This is an attempt to produce that same pulao, based on what I have in the kitchen. I may have missed out some ingredients and it may not taste as good. But I hope it came close. Insha'Allah I shall see you soon. You are always in my doa.

Ingredients for Noorizhan's Vegetable Pulao:
1 cup Basmati Rice (soaked, washed & drained)
2 cups water
2 cups mix vegetables chopped as you like them
(I used runner beans, carrots and potatoes)
1 tbsp ghee
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 cinammon stick
1 bay leaf
3 cardamom pods
5-6 shallots

1 tsp ginger garlic paste (optional)
1 tsp garam masala (optional)
1 whole green chlli slit one side (chopped if you prefer the heat)
1 cup chopped mint and coriander leaves (cilantro)
1 tsp lime juice
Salt & pepper to taste

Heat olive oil and fry the potatoes until brown. Set aside. Add more oil if needed, fry the cumin seeds, followed by cinammon, bay leaf, cardamoms. Add shallots and green chilli. Add ginger garlic paste and garam masala (if using). Fry until fragrant. Add lime juice, chopped mint and coriander leaves. Add salt and pepper, add all the vegetables including the potatoes. Do not cook them at this point, just stir once to mix them nicely and add rice and water.


The vegetables will cook together with the rice. Cook covered until all the water has been absorbed. Turn off the gas and fluff rice gently. Keep covered for at least 10 mins before serving. The vegetables should still be crunchy. This is a light and healthy vegetarian meal on its own. Or you may serve it as a side dish with your favourite meat.


 

 

No comments: