Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Lamb and Puri

I love Lamb curry and Puri. I could remember when I was eleven and we had moved in to our spanky new house. We had a Punjabi Indian family as neighbours and their house always smelt of heavenly curries. It smelt different from the curries which my mom made. I thought my mom's were great but that new smell from the Punjabi lady's kitchen moved me beyond words.

I had to ask her, just needed to find out what she had thrown into her pot. So nosy little me went poking around her kitchen one day. My oh my what a learing experience that was, she had me learning on  all kinds of Indian spices, her home made roasted spices for garam masala (her secret recipe), asafoetida and for the first time in my life I knew that mustard oil existed. This is something which my mom never use.

So everytime I made lamb and puri, it brings me down memory lane, back to her kitchen. She would serve it with jeera rice as well as puri or chapati and some lovely "spicy potato mash".

No comments: