Friday, November 25, 2011

"Fattoush Fetish"

Every Middle-Eastern girl I know has a Fattoush recipe she holds dearly in her heart, "adopted" from grandma or mom.
No two recipes are the same...and they all taste good. I am lost as to which one to follow, so I make my own.

I find Fattoush salad very "addictive", just can't get enough of them. Refreshingly citrusy from Sumac and lemon juice, mildly fragrant from the olive oil, cumin, garlic, parsley and mint.
Oh I have added chilli powder as well. Its a cold cold world and I needed some warmth :).  If you detest chillis, leave them out.
Ingredients for my version of "Fattoush Salad":
Toasted flat bread (Middle-Eastern) or pita, break into small pieces
Some lettuce leaves, torn or chopped into bite pieces
1 chopped cucumber
1 chopped tomato
1 chopped capsicum
1/2 sliced onion
2 chopped spring onions
5 green olives
5 kalamata olives
1 tablespoon chopped mint leaves
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 clove garlic, crushed with a pinch of salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon sumac
1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
Mix everything in a large bowl. For best results, use your hands.
Serve the salad with more crispy toasted bread.
I eat this with anything from fish to meat, even good on its own.
This time I have it with some rice, courtesy of my friend Sakura from Kabob Station at : http://www.kabobstation.wordpress.com/


No comments: